Welcome to Gloria James-Civetta & Co
Singapore Divorce Lawyer
Gloria James-Civetta & Co
Singapore Divorce Lawyer
You will find over 200 informative blogs on the Singapore divorce process through to the final stages of settlement. Our team of dedicated Singapore divorce lawyers are here to help guide you through the legal process ahead.
With a team of eight dedicated divorce lawyers, we are able to dedicate considerable resources to ensuring our clients achieve the best possible outcomes.
Founding Lawyer Ms Gloria James has more than 25 years’ experience in handling divorce and family law proceedings.
“It’s not hard to make decisions when you understand your options”
Free Phone & Video Consultation
Our Expertise & Capabilities
- Team of dedicated divorce lawyers with extensive court and mediation experience to handle complex matrimonial proceedings.
- Experienced divorce lawyers with excellent track record resolving “high conflict” matrimonial disputes.
- All our divorce lawyers strive to make the divorce process as hassle-free for our clients as possible.
- Specialist family law team trained by the Singapore Mediation Centre for dispute resolution.
- Collaborative Family Practitioner
- Appointed Child Representative Lawyer (Family Justice Court)
- Parenting Coordination Lawyer
- Associate Mediator of the Singapore Mediation Centre and PDRC
- Mediator (Family Justice Court & SMC Family Panel)
- Certificate-in-Mediating Disputes (Harvard Law School)
- Certificate-in-Mediation Skills ADR (Regent’s University London)
- How do you initiate divorce proceedings in Singapore?
- What happens if it’s before three (3) years?
- What do you mean by Leave of Court?
- What are the grounds for divorce?
- What is Unreasonable Behaviour?
- How to proceed for Divorce in an event where the marriage is just about one (1) year
- What happens if couple does not meet specific requirements?
- What is a Postnuptial Agreement?
- Does the couple have a choice to undo Deed of Separation or Annulment?
- What is the timeframe to get a divorce?
- What is the Court Process?
- How amicable and brutal can divorce get?
- How is Child Custody determined?
- Different types of child custody
- Determining the process of a Sole, Joint and Hybrid Custody
- What is Care & Control?
- What is Access
- The Welfare principle of the Child
- Grandparent`s involvement
- Myths surrounding Child Custody
- How much say does the child have in deciding custody?
For victims of domestic violence in Singapore, it is imperative that they know their rights and seek legal help immediately in order to protect themselves and their loved ones.
WE OFFER A NO OBLIGATION
FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION
Why Choose Us
We are one of the only Singapore divorce law firms offering Litigation, Collaborative Law and Mediation.
Our clients receive a prompt response to their individual needs and enquiries.
Our divorce lawyers take great pride in the personal attention they deliver to their clients.
We provide sound strategic representation to obtain the best possible outcome for our clients.
The Singapore Divorce Calculator is FREE APP, designed to assist divorcing couples calculate their Home Ownership Contribution ratios, as well as Child Maintenance monthly costs.
Free Consultation Process
During the consultation process, our lawyers will;
- Go through and help you understand the different stages of the divorce process.
- Assess if you meet the conditions to file for divorce in Singapore.
- Help you understand your legal rights, responsibilities and issues you need to address.
- Answer any questions you might have relating to the divorce process.
- Help you explore your divorce options.
When you engage our services, our divorce lawyers will;
- Work with you to formulate a divorce strategy that suits your needs and budget
- Present you with Alternative Dispute Resolution options, to save you time and money
- Discuss options on how to secure your assets, protect credit cards, joint accounts and minimize joint obligations
- Negotiate issues related to child & spousal maintenance and joint matrimonial assets
- Prepare temporary visitation orders and custody arrangements with respect to children
- Recommend particular health care professionals for high conflict issues involving child custody
- In case of trial, present you with all possible scenarios that may arise in the family court
Common Divorce Questions
The law under the Women’s Charter requires you to show that the marriage has irretrievably broken down. At Gloria James-Civetta & Co, we offer a complimentary 20 minute consultation with one of our divorce lawyers to assess whether you meet the requirements to file for divorce in Singapore.
If you are able to communicate with your spouse, then have a discussion of your intention to divorce and start talking terms. If you are near settlement, you will need to engage a divorce lawyer to start preparing the divorce papers. If you are unable to communicate or discuss with your spouse, fret not, our divorce lawyers can guide you on the necessary steps to be taken.
As long as your meet the statutory requirements of being married for more than 3 years, have a reason for the breakdown of the marriage, and having satisfied the jurisdiction issues, you can proceed to divorce in Singapore.
In total, the divorce process usually takes 5-6 months for uncontested divorce. It takes 2-3 months to Interim Judgment stage and another 3 months to Final Judgment stage.
Divorce Based On Adultery
You may want to seek professional help from a Private Investigator (PI) or consider filing for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour with improper association, instead of adultery. Beware, private investigator charges can be higher than the cost for the divorce itself. Our experienced Singapore divorce lawyers can help you explore alternative grounds to base the divorce proceedings on.
If after finding out about the adultery, and the aggrieved party continues to live with his/her spouse for a period of 6 months, the plaintiff shall not be entitled to rely on that adultery for divorce.
You cannot apply for a divorce if you have been married for less than three years unless you have the Court’s permission to do so. This means you need to take out a separate court application prior to commencing Singapore divorce proceedings. At GJC law, we have a team of highly experienced divorce lawyers who are happy to help you with any of your queries or concerns in regards to nullity applications.