One of the most important decisions in your divorce is choosing the right family lawyer.
There are many generalist lawyers who offer and advertise cheap legal services online to entice clients to use their services, but beware, choose with caution. You only receive what you pay for.
“Your divorce lawyer should have considerable experience in handling divorce cases”
Our team of dedicated divorce lawyers will let you have active participation in discussions about your case whilst guiding you through the divorce proceedings.
Experience VS Accolades
When searching for a good divorce lawyer, it’s tempting to be swayed by firms that boast advertising awards, such as “top lawyer” or “family law firm of the year.”
These awards may look impressive, and project authority but they do not necessarily have anything to do with professional ability and expertise.
What you need is a family law firm with well-trained divorce lawyers who possess accreditations as:
- Family Mediators
- Collaborative Family Practice Lawyers
- Parenting Coordination Lawyers, and
- Child Representative Lawyers
It is important to note that divorce lawyers within the Family Mediation training and accreditation framework have undertaken advanced and often costly further studies to maintain a high level in the area of divorce law. Such accreditation demonstrates a very high level of expertise in matters of;
Allow us to take it from here.
At Gloria James-Civetta & Co, we offer a free 30-minute consultation with one of our lawyers, who will explain the divorce process and assess whether you meet the requirements to file for divorce in Singapore.
So, How Do I Choose?
Below are some important pointers of the things you need to consider in order to make sure your chosen divorce lawyer has the right legal skills, experience and personal qualities that meet your needs:
- Do a thorough internet profile search on the law Firm and their family lawyer(s).
- Call your chosen firm(s) to set up a meeting & assess the divorce lawyer to see how he/she can help in your particular circumstances. Good divorce lawyers will give you a free 30 minute consultation to explain the divorce process in Singapore in order to put you in a better position, should you wish to negotiate, mediate or go before a judge in court.
- Establish how many years practicing experience the divorce Lawyer has in Family Law and keep in mind that with legal expertise, comes a wealth of knowledge.
- Communication and trust with your prospective divorce lawyer is most important. Have an understanding of the different stages of the Divorce process. Make sure all your options are explored. A good divorce lawyer will go through this process before you engage them.
- Be careful to look beyond the promises of a good outcome and instead look deeper to make sure you are getting the best divorce lawyer for your case.
- Make sure that you understand the charges involved at every stage of the divorce proceedings.(Is it hourly basis, range or a package option?) The letter of engagement is the working contract between you and your divorce lawyer, so read it carefully and thoroughly. This engagement letter should describe the nature of your legal matter, the terms and conditions of the relationship between you and your lawyer and estimated range of costs.