First Meeting with Divorce Lawyer
So what do you do? What happens during the first meeting with your divorce lawyer? What do you need to bring along?
Firstly, have an idea as to what you are going to ask the divorce lawyer.
Come with a list of questions and doubts you have – technically, ask questions those are lingering in your mind.
2. What happens at the meeting?
The lawyer usually go through a list of questions to obtain data about the parties involved in the divorce:
- Length of marriage,
- Place of marriage,
- No. of children
- Details of the parties and personal background
- History of the marriage,
- Whether it is likely to be an uncontested or contested divorce,
- Brief financial position
The lawyer will explain the various court process and legal fees. The first consultation can take at least 20 mins to an hour.
3. What should you bring?
- Marriage certificate copy
- Birth certificate copy of the children
- CPF/mortgage loan statement on property
- Cheque Deposit
What if you come without these documents?
Fret not. Do not feel that you have to final all of these before you consult the divorce lawyer.